The foods you eat are great sources of medicine to help treat and prevent illnesses and diseases. There are many super foods you can eat today to have an extraordinary health and long life.
Below are 18 super foods you can include in your daily diet:
1. Cabbage – This vegetable contains many nutritional ingredients, including vitamin C, calcium, potassium, folate, beta carotene, and fiber. It is also low in calories and a great source for iron. People who eat large amounts of cabbage enjoy a low rate of colon cancer. Women whose diet provide ample amount of cabbage and related vegetables have reduced incidence of uterine, ovarian, and breast cancer.
2. Tomato – Tomatoes contain vitamin A, C, K, potassium, and iron. These vitamins are essential for healthy living. They also contain anti-oxidants, reduce cholesterol, protect the heart form heart disease, fight carcinogens, improve vision, keep the digestive tract healthy, lower blood pressure, alleviate symptoms of diabetes, help maintain healthy skin and bones, prevent urinary tract infections, and prevent gallstones.
3. Broccoli – Regular eating this vegetable helps defeat many common illnesses and it is also good at preventing high blood pressure. Brocolli contains vitamin C, vitamin A (mostly as beta-carotene), folic acid, calcium and fiber.
4. Spinach – Spinach is low in calories and high in vitamins. It contains more than the daily requirement of vitamin A, and Vitamin K, and almost all the folate and manganese and about 40 percent of the daily magnesium requirement. The more than 20 nutrients it contains include fiber, calcium, iron and protein.
5. Blueberries – Blueberries contain notable health benefiting nutrients such as fiber, minerals, vitamins, and anti-oxidants. In addition, these berries have other flavonoid anti-oxidants such as carotene, lutein and zea-xanthin. The phytochemical compounds in the blueberry help rid harmful oxygen-derived free radicals from the body, and thereby, protect the human body against cancers, aging, degenerative diseases, and infections.
6. Sweet Potato – The sweet potato is a starch, and is therefore rich in starches; however, that is not all the sweet potato has to offer. It is high in fiber, beta carotene, vitamins C, E, and B6, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium. Compared to other vegetables that contain the same nutrients, the sweet potato is the highest ranked vegetable in terms of nutrient content. It can boost immunity, reduces inflammation, relieves asthma, relieves arthritis, regulates blood sugar, among others.
7. Almonds – Almonds are one of the most nutritious of all nuts. Potential health benefits include cancer prevention, reduced risk of heart attack and lowering cholesterol levels. They contain protein, calcium, folic acid, magnesium, a plethora of vitamins and phosphorus. They can help stabilize blood sugar, maintain weight, boost memory, reduced cholesterol, facilitate digestion, improve skin tone, minimize risks of cancer, and enhance the immune system.
8. Avocado – As a wonder food, avocados work double duty. They not only keep you healthy, but they can also help lower cholesterol, fight diabetes, and reduce high blood pressure. Avocados can fight cancer, strengthen your heart, protect against breast cancer, and strengthen your eyes.
9. Flax Seeds – It’s not only a good scourge of constipation, but it also has cardiovascular antioxidants (cancer fighting nutrients), and anti-inflammatory benefits. It can be used to lessen symptoms of menopause and facilitates digestion.
10. Pumpkin – Pumpkin is another very healthy fruit. It contains vitamin A, antioxidants, alpha and beta carotene, vitamin C, K, and E, and minerals, including iron, potassium, and magnesium. It is also a great source of fiber. The seeds are also loaded with minerals, have anti-inflammatory effect, and can protect against prostate cancer and osteoporosis.
11. Pomegranate – It is low in calories, rich in fiber and contains and assortment of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins C and K, folate, calcium, copper, manganese, and potassium. They are also full of cancer-fighting antioxidants. Eating pomegranates can lower your risk of heart disease and cancer. It can lower cholesterol, help you control your weight, and lessen the symptoms of diarrhea.
12. Globe artichokes – Artichokes are high in antioxidants and is a good source of niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, fiber, vitamins C and K, folate, and manganese They can prevent and treat cancer increase the flow of bile, facilitate digestion, reduce cholesterol, lower blood glucose levels, relieve hypertension, and can be sued as a hangover treatment.
13. Apple – An apple contains protein, folate, niacin, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamins A, C, E, and K, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc. It also contains phytonutrients and antioxidants. They are in low calories and contain no fats or cholesterol. They are rich in fiber. They help fight cancer-causing chemicals, stop the absorption of bad cholesterol, protect the body from the effects of free radicals, help regulate metabolism, and counter sodium influence in the body.
14. Garlic – Garlic possesses properties that prevent cancers, heart disease, and the common cold. It is rich in vitamins and minerals, as well, containing protein, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamins B and C, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, zinc, manganese and selenium. It has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal activities. It is said to prevent heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and cancers.
15. Onions – Onions are more than an ingredient in a recipe, they are also chock full of nutrients. They contain vitamins C, B6, B1 and K, as well as biotin, chromium, calcium and fiber. They are low in calories, and contain antioxidants. Like garlic, is it linked to stopping cancer, fighting asthma, lowering blood sugar, lessening blood clots, and high cholesterol.
16. Soybean – Soybeans are a super food, which contain a multitude of vitamins and minerals. They are a great source of protein, and can be eaten instead of meats to get your daily requirements for protein. They also contain vitamins A, B6, B12, C and K, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium and zinc.
17. Strawberry – It contain folate, potassium, fiber, and a high percentage of vitamin C. It is used in many home remedies such as to whiten your teeth and fight acne. Eating strawberries is said to be a great way to fight cancer, prevent anemia, benefit the digestive system and help the heart.
18. Banana – It contains many vitamins and minerals, including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, vitamins A, C, E, and K, as well as thiamin, vitamin B6, and folate. Eating bananas can help reduce the risk of cancer.